Trusted Periodontist in Johannesburg | Book Now
Hills Dental Studio’s experienced periodontist team in Johannesburg offers personalized treatment plans using advanced technology. Book now for optimal oral health!
Providing Quality Dentistry
with Experienced Doctors
Get a dental health checkup with a dentist that has your best interest in mind and offers fair rates.
1. Book An Appointment
Visit our website and book an appointment with one of our experienced dentists.
2. Come In For A Consultation
Our team will sit down with you and discuss your dental needs and goals.
3. Get The Perfect Smile
We’ll work with you to develop a treatment plan that will get you the perfect smile.
Book Your Appointment In A Few Steps
Periodontist In Johannesburg
As the foundation of your oral health, your gums need special attention and care. That’s where a periodontist comes in.
A periodontist is a dental specialist who focuses on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease and other conditions that affect the gums and supporting structures of the teeth.
If you are looking for a reliable and experienced periodontist in Johannesburg, Hills Dental Studio has got you covered.
At Hills Dental Studio in Johannesburg, our periodontist specializes in providing comprehensive periodontal care to patients of all ages. We offer a range of services designed to help you achieve and maintain optimal gum health, including:
- Periodontal screening and assessment: We use the latest diagnostic tools and techniques to evaluate the health of your gums and supporting structures, and develop a personalized treatment plan to address any issues we identify.
- Scaling and root planing: This deep cleaning procedure is used to remove plaque and tartar from below the gum line, and smooth the surfaces of the tooth roots to prevent bacteria from accumulating.
- Periodontal maintenance: Regular cleanings and checkups are essential for maintaining healthy gums and preventing gum disease from progressing. Our periodontist will work with you to develop a customized maintenance plan that meets your unique needs.
- Gum grafting: If you have receding gums or exposed tooth roots, we can perform a gum grafting procedure to restore the natural contour and function of your gums.
- Dental implant placement and maintenance: Dental implants are a popular and effective way to replace missing teeth. Our periodontist has extensive training and experience in implant placement and maintenance, and can help you achieve a beautiful, functional smile.
- Crown lengthening: If you have a “gummy” smile or uneven gum line, we can perform a crown lengthening procedure to improve the aesthetics of your smile and create a more balanced look.
At Hills Dental Studio, we are committed to providing the highest quality periodontal care in a comfortable, welcoming environment. Whether you need routine cleanings and maintenance, or more complex treatment for gum disease or other oral health issues, our periodontist is here to help you achieve the healthy, beautiful smile you deserve.
Other common gum diseases
There are several types of gum diseases and infections that can affect your oral health. Here are some common ones:
- Gingivitis: This is a mild form of gum disease that is caused by bacterial plaque buildup on the teeth and gums. Symptoms include red, swollen, and bleeding gums.
- Pericoronitis: This is an infection that occurs when the wisdom teeth do not fully emerge from the gums, causing inflammation and pain.
- Abscessed tooth: This is a bacterial infection that can occur when a cavity or injury to the tooth allows bacteria to enter the tooth root, leading to inflammation and pus formation.
- Thrush: This is a fungal infection that can occur in the mouth and throat, causing white patches on the gums, tongue, and roof of the mouth.
It’s important to see a dentist regularly to detect and treat gum diseases and infections before they become more serious.
Treatment for different gum diseases
The treatment for gum diseases and infections will depend on the severity of the condition. Here are some common treatments for the different types of health conditions that are gum related diseases and infections:
- Gingivitis: Treatment for gingivitis involves a professional dental cleaning to remove plaque and tartar buildup from the teeth and gums. The dentist may also recommend improved oral hygiene habits such as regular brushing and flossing.
- Pericoronitis: Treatment for pericoronitis involves cleaning the affected area and prescribing antibiotics to reduce inflammation and infection. In some cases, extraction of the affected tooth may be necessary.
- Abscessed tooth: Treatment for an abscessed tooth involves draining the pus and infection, prescribing antibiotics to clear the infection, and performing root canal therapy or tooth extraction to prevent further damage.
- Thrush: Treatment for thrush involves antifungal medications such as topical creams or oral medications, along with improving oral hygiene habits and addressing any underlying medical conditions that may be contributing to the infection.
It’s important to see a dentist or periodontist for proper diagnosis and treatment of any gum disease or infection to prevent further damage and protect your oral health.
Common signs and symptoms of gum disease include:
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Bleeding gums when brushing or flossing
- Receding gums
- Loose teeth
- Persistent bad breath
If left untreated, gum disease can progress to more serious conditions, such as tooth loss and other oral health problems.
A periodontal procedure is a dental procedure that focuses on the treatment of gum disease, also known as periodontal disease.
Gum disease is a common condition that occurs when the gums become inflamed due to the buildup of plaque and bacteria on the teeth. If left untreated, gum disease can progress and lead to more serious complications, including tooth loss.
Periodontal procedures are performed by a dental specialist known as a periodontist. These procedures can vary depending on the severity of the gum disease and the specific needs of the patient. Here are some common periodontal procedures:
- Scaling and root planing: This is a non-surgical procedure that involves removing plaque and tartar from the teeth and smoothing the roots to help the gums reattach to the teeth.
- Periodontal surgery: This is a surgical procedure that is used to treat advanced cases of gum disease. It involves cutting and reshaping the gums to remove the bacteria and promote healing.
- Dental implants: If tooth loss has occurred due to gum disease, a dental implant may be recommended. This involves placing a metal post into the jawbone and attaching a replacement tooth to the post.
- Bone grafting: This procedure is used to regenerate bone that has been lost due to gum disease. It involves placing a small piece of bone or a bone-like material into the affected area to stimulate the growth of new bone tissue.
After a periodontal procedure, it is important to follow the aftercare instructions provided by the periodontist to ensure proper healing and prevent complications. Good oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing regularly, can also help prevent gum disease from returning.
Benefits of periodontitis
There are many benefits of seeing a periodontist, including:
- Prevention of gum disease: A periodontist can help prevent gum disease by performing regular periodontal screenings and cleanings. This can help catch gum disease in its early stages, before it becomes more serious and difficult to treat.
- Treatment of gum disease: If you already have gum disease, a periodontist can help you manage the condition and prevent it from getting worse. They can perform deep cleanings, prescribe antibiotics, and recommend other treatments to help control the infection and prevent further damage to your teeth and gums.
- Improved overall health: Gum disease has been linked to a number of other health problems, including heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. By seeing a periodontist and addressing your gum disease, you may also improve your overall health and reduce your risk of developing other health problems.
- Preservation of your natural teeth: Gum disease can cause the gums to recede and the bone supporting your teeth to weaken, which can eventually lead to tooth loss. By working with a periodontist to manage your gum disease, you can help preserve your natural teeth and avoid the need for tooth replacement options like dental implants or dentures.
- Improved aesthetics: Gum disease can cause the gums to recede, creating a “gummy” smile or exposing the roots of your teeth. A periodontist can perform gum grafting to restore the natural contour of your gums and improve the appearance of your smile.
- Customized treatment plans: Periodontists are trained to evaluate your specific periodontal needs and develop a customized treatment plan tailored to your unique situation. This means that you will receive personalized care that is designed to address your specific concerns and goals.
Overall, seeing a periodontist can help you achieve and maintain healthy gums, prevent tooth loss, and improve your overall health and quality of life. If you are experiencing symptoms of gum disease or have other concerns related to your periodontal health, consider scheduling a consultation with a periodontist to learn more about your treatment options.
After a periodontal procedure or appointment, it’s important to take good care of your oral health to promote healing and prevent complications. Here are some tips to help you care for your oral health after a periodontal procedure:
- Follow your periodontist’s instructions: Your periodontist will provide you with specific instructions on how to care for your teeth and gums after your procedure. Be sure to follow these instructions carefully to ensure optimal healing.
- Take medication as prescribed: If your periodontist has prescribed medication, such as antibiotics or pain relievers, be sure to take it exactly as directed.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking can slow down the healing process and increase your risk of complications after a periodontal procedure. If you smoke, try to quit or at least avoid smoking for a few days after your procedure.
- Avoid hard and crunchy foods: For the first few days after your procedure, stick to soft and easy-to-chew foods to avoid irritating your gums or dislodging any stitches.
- Practice good oral hygiene: Brush and floss your teeth as recommended by your periodontist. This will help keep your gums and teeth clean and prevent infection.
- Use a saltwater rinse: Your periodontist may recommend a saltwater rinse to help reduce inflammation and promote healing. Mix a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and rinse your mouth with it several times a day.
- Attend follow-up appointments: Your periodontist will likely schedule a follow-up appointment to check on your progress and remove any stitches. Be sure to attend this appointment and any others as recommended by your periodontist.
By following these tips and maintaining good oral hygiene, you can help ensure a smooth and successful recovery after your periodontic procedure. If you have any questions or concerns about caring for your oral health after a periodontic procedure, don’t hesitate to reach out to your periodontist for guidance.
Hills Dental Studio Treatments
Hills Dental Studio is a leading dental practice that provides exceptional dental care to patients of all ages. Our team of experienced and compassionate dentists offers a wide range of dental services, including general, cosmetic, aesthetic, emergency, and orthodontic care.
A periodontist is a dental specialist who focuses on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease, which affects the gums and the bone that supports the teeth.
Periodontists in Johannesburg offer a range of services, including scaling and root planing, gum grafting, crown lengthening, dental implants, and laser gum surgery.
You should see a periodontist if you have symptoms of periodontal disease, such as red or swollen gums, bleeding gums, receding gums, loose teeth, or persistent bad breath.
Your general dentist may also refer you to a periodontist if they notice signs of periodontal disease during a routine checkup.
You can start by asking for recommendations from your general dentist or other healthcare providers. You can also search online for periodontists in Johannesburg and read reviews from past patients.
Look for a periodontist who has experience in treating your specific condition and who makes you feel comfortable and confident in their care.
During your first visit to a periodontist, they will perform a thorough examination of your teeth and gums, take X-rays if necessary, and discuss your medical history and any symptoms you may be experiencing.
They will then recommend a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
This depends on your insurance plan. Some insurance plans cover periodontal treatment, while others may only cover certain procedures or have a limit on the amount they will pay.
It’s important to check with your insurance provider to understand what is covered and what your out-of-pocket costs may be.
You can prevent periodontal disease by practicing good oral hygiene, including brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and visiting your dentist and periodontist regularly for cleanings and checkups.
You should also avoid smoking or using tobacco products, eat a healthy diet, and manage stress levels.
What Our Clients Say
Proudly affiliated with reputable dental organizations, we strive to stay at the forefront of the latest dental advancements and techniques to provide exceptional care to our patients.